Campton is a town located in Central New Hampshire in the Lakes Region of the state. It is situated on the Easter edge of Grafton County and, as of the 2010 U.S. Census, is home to 3,333 people. Campton encompasses a total area of 52.5 square miles, of which, only .6 miles is water. The area is home to several small residential villages, including Blair, Campton Hollow, West Campton and Lower Campton. A handful of notable natural landmarks are also located in Campton: Blair State Forest, Livermore Falls State Forest, parts of the White Mountain and parts of the White Mountain National Forest can all be found in this area.
Campton was originally granted in 1761 to Jabez Spencer by Governor Benning Wentworth. The area was settled in 1765 and, in 1776, the town took on the name Campton, after a camp that was built to survey the area. In its early years, Campton was popular with farmers, because of its fertile ground. By the 1850s, the area saw a more industrial movement, with the addition of a saw mill, gristmill, tannery and carriage shop. Over time, the area has been home to many notable residents, including congressman and Senator Henry W. Blair, skier Chris Devlin-Young and Congressman Arthur Livermore.
The Campton area includes a part of a number of bodies of water, including the Mad River, the Pemigewassat River, Livermore Falls and the Merrimack River watershed. There are also three covered bridges in the town, one of which (the Blair Bridge) is the second longest of its kind in the state.
Campton has a full-time police department, a full-time fire chief and a municipal emergency medical services department. The town also has its own recreation department, which provides afterschool programs, camps, classes and recreational sports leagues for adults and children. The area?s biggest employers are the Owls Nest Golf Course, Campton Sand & Gravel and Cascraft.