The commercial and governmental heart of NH for 300 years. Industry grew on the rapids of the Merrimack River where Victorian brick mill buildings still line the banks, now housing a mix of high tech and craftsmen. In Manchester, performing and fine arts balance commerce: the Currier Museum of Art and Frank Lloyd Wright Zimmerman House complement the fastest growing airport in the US. In Concord the state legislature meets in the oldest continuously-operating State House in the country while the Christa McAuliffe Planetarium celebrates the NH schoolteacher who became the first civilian astronaut.
Highlights: Canterbury Shaker Village one of the longest-lasting active Shaker communities. Poet Robert Frost’s farm in Derry. New Hampshire International Speedway in Loudon, the only NASCAR Nextel Cup venue in the Northeast.
Below are some links to helpful web sites in this region.
Regional Web Sites
- Merrimack Valley Chamber of Commerce
- Concord Chamber of Commerce
- Greater Manchester Chamber of Commerce
- Greater Nashua Chamber of Commerce
- Concord Monitor
- The Union Leader
- Bedford Village Inn, Bedford
- Colby Hill Inn, Henniker
- The Centennial, Concord
- Radison Hotel of Manchester, Manchester
State Wide Web Sites
- Official State of New Hampshire Web site
- New Hampshire Tourism
- State School Information
- The Union Leader – NH’s Statewide Newspaper
- NH.com – web portal for finding out what’s going in New Hampshire.
- NewHampshire.com – full of NH information.