The mother lode for SkiNH, incorporating the 800,000 acre White Mountain National Forest and the 12-peak Presidential Range. 6,288 ft. Mount Washington is the state’s highest peak and home to a year round weather station. This region and its 20+ alpine resorts have produced lustrous stars of Nordic skiing, from Tom Corcoran, 1960 US Olympic Ski Team member and founder of Waterville Valley, to Bode Miller.
Highlights: The Mount Washington Hotel and Bretton Woods resort and the Mountain View Grand Hotel are two historic grande dames here, among just 4 remaining grand NH hotels where 200 once defined the word “vacation.” The Kancamagus Highway winds through Franconia Notch, breathtaking even without the “Old Man.” The Appalachian Mountain Club maintains post-and-beam lodge “huts” to accommodate day-trip hikers as well as those completing the northern reach of the 2,200 mile Trail.
Below are some links to helpful web sites in this region.
Community & Area Guides
- Visit the White Mountains – official site for New Hampshire’s White Mountains
- Mount Washington Resort – Bretton Woods
- Mountain View Grand Resort & Spa, Whitefield
- White Mountain Hotel & Grand Resort, Hales Location
- North Conway Grand Hotel, North Conway
State Wide Web Sites